[R-sig-Geo] Sleuthing X windows bug in Ubuntu Gutsy

Tim Keitt tkeitt at gmail.com
Sun Mar 30 04:36:23 CEST 2008

On Sat, Mar 29, 2008 at 4:36 PM, Barry Rowlingson
<b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk> wrote:
> Tim Keitt wrote:
>
>  > version number:    11.0
>  > vendor string:    The X.Org Foundation
>  > vendor release number:    10400090
>  > X.Org version: 1.4.0.90
>  >
>  > Sigh. Debugging X is such a pain...
>  >

>   Just a suggestion, but have you tried it with an Xnest, or an Xvfb
>  server? That way it should only crash that server and not the one you
>  are working on.

Great suggestion. Yes, I did run a second X server and was able to
crash it without loosing my session. I got as far as trying to run the
X server from within gdb, but it hangs and I have to power cycle.

THK

--
Timothy H. Keitt, Assistant Professor
University of Texas at Austin http://www.keittlab.org/