[R-sig-Geo] Sleuthing X windows bug in Ubuntu Gutsy

Tim Keitt tkeitt at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 20:22:08 CET 2008

I'm trying to see if I can track down a bug in X windows that causes
it to crash when plotting (I believe) very small filled polygons (or
it may have to do with large numbers of polygons). I first noticed
this running QGIS. Loading a PostGIS layer with ~3K polygons will
cause X to abort. I can load the layer if I have already zoomed into a
smaller region of the coverage. Once I try to zoom out to the full
extent, X dies.

So I tried loading the polygons into "sp" using "readOGR" which works
great. I could then plot the polygons, no problem. But when I called
"spplot" which I believe fills the polygons, same problem. X crashes.

Can anyone confirm this behavior? Try plotting a large number of
polygons with spplot and also try very small polygons (less than a
pixel size). I can send around the shapefile if anyone is interested.
It contains GSHHS coastlines for Micronesia.

THK

--
Timothy H. Keitt, Assistant Professor
University of Texas at Austin http://www.keittlab.org/