[R-sig-Geo] R-sig-Geo Digest, Vol 55, Issue 11

Nicholas Lewin-Koh nikko at hailmail.net
Thu Mar 13 17:04:50 CET 2008

Hi Jeff,
I think you can fit a spatial error model using a glmm in nlme or lme4.
The negative binomial
is not implemented, but a gamma model (if your counts are "well
behaved") should be a good approximation.
Another posibility is to use the VGAM package or mgcv and assume a
smooth surface for your x and y coordinates.
This of course is not the same as a spatial lag model, but does capture
the spatial trend (if any).

If overdispersion is the problem you can probably use the Poisson model
and try to bring the extra variation in as a random effect. You haven't
given us the
structure of your data. Is it the number of bird species at each point?
Is it
counts of birds along a gradient? How the sampling was done is
important.

Nicholas