[R-sig-Geo] R chrashes when reading vector from GRASS with readVECT6

Michal Gallay mgallay01 at qub.ac.uk
Tue Mar 11 13:23:00 CET 2008

Dear R experts,

I am running R 6.2.2 and QGIS 0.8.1 on WinXP, 1.5 GB RAM, 1.8GHZ processor.

When I try to read a vector point dataset from a GRASS mapset
R looks like its working but it goes on for a very long time
even if the point dataset is small (1400 points).
After hitting ESC to terminate the process, R crashers.

require(spgrass6)
> gmeta6()
gisdbase    D:/GIS_data/GB_data/GRASS
location    4_Langdale
mapset      RST_ground_truth
rows        290
columns     400
north       507450
south       506000
west        328000
east        330000
nsres       5
ewres       5
projection  NA
cv.vect <- readVECT6("cv.points")

However, sometimes after closing R and openning again I managed to read the
data and sometimes not. It appears to be more or less random behaviour.

Now, I wanted to read a big vector (1 million points). R crashes again.
There is no problem with readRAST6() even with a big raster.

Would you have any ideas where the problem is?

Thank you for your time and advice.

Best regards

Michal

--
Michal Gallay

Postgraduate Research Student
School of Geography, Archaeology and Palaeoecology
Queen's University
Belfast BT7 1NN
Northern Ireland

Tel: +44(0)2890 273929