[R-sig-Geo] [R] polygon shapefile from line edge coordinate list

Murray Richardson murray.richardson at utoronto.ca
Mon Mar 10 01:27:21 CET 2008

Hi Roger

Thanks so much for your help.  I can definitely work with this.  On your
advice I'm responding via r-sig-geo.

Unfortunately, there is no guarantee that the line segments will come in
any particular order from the alpha shapes routine.  In fact, there will
also likely be line segments from  different polys mixed together, so I
need to write the code so that the polygons are assembled only for
connected line segments.  I was naive when I started thinking about the
problem.  As you suggest, this could get messy.

As an alternative I may load the segments into a postGIS linestring
table and polygonize that, all via RODBC/postGIS.  An added benefit is
that it would clean up dangling segments, which may also exist.

Thanks again

Murray