[R-sig-Geo] readGDAL does not close connections

Edzer Pebesma edzer.pebesma at uni-muenster.de
Thu Mar 6 15:32:49 CET 2008

Paul Hiemstra wrote:
> I suspect that readGDAL opens connections to the files, but does not
> close them and the program fails because too many files have been
> openened simultaneously. I do not get messages like "Closing GDAL
> dataset handle 0x8ff7900...  destroyed ... done." when I run the script.
> Does anybody on the r-sig-geo list have similar experiences?

Looking at readGDAL, it seems that GDAL.close is called on the open file
handle before the data are returned. This should give you the handle ...
destroyed ... messages for each file you open.

In the C code of package rgdal, I see reference to GDALOpen(), but not
to GDALClose(). I guess it should?
--
Edzer