[R-sig-Geo] API documentation?

David Hugh-Jones dhughj at essex.ac.uk
Mon Jun 30 19:39:42 CEST 2008

Guys

I don't mean to rant, but believe me, I've spent plenty of time with
the documentation and it's really not helping.

Partly this is a problem of R's doc format which treats package
documentation as an alphabetical list of functions - which gives me no
idea where to start.

This then interacts badly with the OO structure. For example, look at
the 20+ pages on "coerce". Hmm, what does "coerce" actually do? In
fact that's in a whole different library. But I didn't know that, so I
click on a page at random, say

coerce,SpatialGrid,data.frame-method

and this takes me to SpatialGrid class - which doesn't mention coerce
at all. (Nor does it tell me what SpatialGrid is, or what it is used
for.)

On the other hand, maybe I might guess that to get a list of
coordinates, I'd use "coordinates". So I click on that method, and it
tells me yes, this "retrieves spatial coordinates". But unfortunately
it retrieves them hidden inside another object ("an object of class
SpatialPointsDataFrame"). OK, but how do I get the _actual_data_?
Maybe the SpatialPointsDataFrame class page will tell me. Nope. Et
cetera.

Rick: yes, I agree that using the internal data structures is how to
do things, but this is broken isn't it? The whole point of having OO
is to be able to use it _without_ understanding the internal data
structures. The ideal, in other words, would be to have a "thin.lines"
method that I could just run on any polygon or set of polygons.
Failing that, then I should be able to get at the internal data
without hours of head scratching.

Right now, it's like, everything is hidden behind a layer of classes
and slots and methods, but I still need to go behind that layer to get
at the actual raw data, and this is so complicated and confusing that
it would be easier just to work with the raw data.

OK, I'll stop venting. If there's anything I could do to improve this
situation, I would gladly try.

David Hugh-Jones
PhD Candidate
Essex University Department of Government
http://davidhughjones.googlepages.com