[R-sig-Geo] map tiles

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Fri Jun 13 17:08:29 CEST 2008

Markus Loecher wrote:
> Dear Rgeo experts,
> what would be the most efficient way of displaying Google map tiles in R and
> overlaying lat/lon points ? It seems that already the first elementary step
> of importing and displaying png pictures is difficult to do in R ?
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated,

  It wouldn't be too hard to write some code that grabbed the google map
tiles for a plot area, converted to some raster format and displayed
them in an R plot window. However, have you read the google map api:

"""The API may be used only for services that are generally accessible
to consumers without charge. Accordingly, You may not use the API for
any service that requires a subscription or other restricted access, or
for which a fee is charged."""

  I reckon having an R plot on your desktop is pretty much restricted
access. Google's map data is intended for public web sites. It might
also fall foul of:

"""You may not copy, reverse engineer, decompile, disassemble,
translate, modify or make derivative works of the imagery, in whole or
in part."""

  Now, OpenStreetMap maps are a different story...

www.openstreetmap.org

Barry