[R-sig-Geo] anisotropy

Dave Depew ddepew at sciborg.uwaterloo.ca
Wed Jun 11 19:35:19 CEST 2008

Hi All,
I suppose this is a rather simple question...however, I'm managing to
get more confused the more I read.
I'm doing some OK and UK using the R-gstat package...I have some data
that is moderately anisotropic. Reading the gstat literature, it would
seem that to specify the appropriate parameters for anisotropic
variograms I need the set the angle equal to the direction of maximal
data continuity? or maximal range?. The ratio of the minimum to maximum
range appears to be straightforward enough, but the first part is
confusing me.
As an example;
data(meuse)
 e<-variogram(dist~1, loc=~x+y,data=meuse, alpha=c(0,45,90,135))
plot(e)

Looks to me anyways, that the direction of maximum range is 45 deg, and
the minRange/maxRange is ~ 1000/1500 = 0.67.

Could more experienced gstat users tell me if I'm out to lunch on this one??

Thanks,