[R-sig-Geo] alter the lon & lat lines and coastline according to the grid coordinates

Costas Douvis cdouvis at geol.uoa.gr
Tue Jun 10 17:42:49 CEST 2008

Hi everyone

My problem might be easy to deal with but I have already spent quite some
time and effort with no result. Any help will be appreciated

My data come from an RCM that I ran, Regcm3. My domain spans over the
wider area of Europe. The model grid is Lambert conformal. This means that
the data values that come from the same line or column of a data matrix do
not correspond to the exact same latitude or longitude. I have the values
of latitude and longitude of each grid point in 2 matrices with the same
dimensions as my data

So what I need to do is to plot those data on a map. I guess that the best
way to do this is to plot them on a rectangle map, preferably using
filled.contour (forgetting for a moment that the grid is actually bended),
and afterwards overlay the latitude and longitude lines and the coastline
as they really are on that map (i.e. the lat and lon lines should not be
straight)

Is that possible?
Or do you have a better suggestion?

--