[R-sig-Geo] Defining a grid for interpolations ?

Tomislav Hengl hengl at science.uva.nl
Wed Jun 4 14:00:30 CEST 2008

FYI

I have just finishing preparing an R script that accompanies my paper in Computers in Geosciences on
finding the grid cell size for various applications.

The script and the data sets can be obtained from:

http://spatial-analyst.net/pixel.php

This gives a step-by-step guide to estimate suitable grid cell sizes given an input data with its
inherent properties: scale, positional accuracy, inspection density, spatial correlation and
complexity of terrain. The bottom line is that there are objective ways to calculate a suitable cell
size (or at least a range of suitable cell sizes), and that the selection of grid cell size can be
automated. For example, using the akima package we can automate estimation of the grid:

> lbrary(maptools)
> elevations <- readShapePoints("elevations.shp", proj4string=CRS(as.character(NA)))
> library(akima)
> elevations.interp <- interp(x=elevations at coords[,1],y=elevations at coords[,2],z=elevations$VALUE,
extrap=T, linear=F)
> image(elevations.interp, col=bpy.colors(), asp=1)
> library(spatstat)
> dem.interp <- as.SpatialGridDataFrame.im(as.im(elevations.interp))
> dem.interp at grid

But I would rather first fit a variogram and then select the cell size based on the number of point
pairs and given the effective range of spatial autocorrelation.

For more info see also:

Hengl T., 2006. Finding the right pixel size. Computers and Geosciences, 32(9): 1283-1298.
http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cageo.2005.11.008

Tom Hengl
http://spatial-analyst.net