[R-sig-Geo] ncdf file with non-equally spaced grid

Michael Sumner mdsumner at utas.edu.au
Thu Jul 31 23:03:47 CEST 2008

You can use gdalwarp in FWTools to re-grid the data with control points
(perhaps with with some effort), but as you say that will interpolate to
a regular grid.

Is it definitely dlon that increases? Can you post a link to an example
file?

Some netCDF files I've seen are actually using Mercator, but store the
pixel coordinates as lon/lat.

There are totally irregular grids as well though, so as a raster you
would have to resample it in some way. Otherwise you can interpret the
data as a SpatialPointsDataFrame and use it as you would in Matlab. Note
that the image() function will handle irregular (but xy locked) grid
spacings, so you can jig a function to plot these things as an image
pretty easily.

Cheers, Mike.