[R-sig-Geo] identying shapefile polygons containing long-lat points

jatwood at montana.edu jatwood at montana.edu
Wed Jul 23 01:33:50 CEST 2008

Good Afternoon
I searched the archives but could not find the answer to my question.
I have shapefiles for various geographic regions such as states, counties,
zipcode areas, townships, etc.  I also have long-lat coordinates for 12000
plus weather stations.  I am able to use maptools to plot the maps and am
able to plot the points on the polygon maps with appropriate text. However,
I also need to be able to identify which shapefile polygon each weather
station (or pobbibly other long-lat points) lies within.

Does any package have a function similar to the "maps" packages'
"map.where" function that would work with more general shapefile polygons?

I am new to this list so please excuse me if this question has been
previously addressed.  I will appreciate any help or suggestions.