[R-sig-Geo] Impact of ArcGIS 8.3 beta's new spatial statistical functions in its Spatial Analyst Extension

David Hugh-Jones davidhughjones at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 17:16:22 CEST 2008

Maybe this would be an appropriate time to mention

http://wiki.r-project.org/rwiki/doku.php?id=tips:spatial-data:when_to_use

How would list members answer this question?

David Hugh-Jones
PhD Candidate
Essex University Department of Government
http://davidhughjones.googlepages.com

2008/7/3 John Callahan <john.callahan at udel.edu>:
> I agree.  It's difficult to see any reason that someone who currently
> uses R/GRASS would go to ESRI for spatial statistics.  I come from a
> long history as an ESRI user with an interest in spatial stats.  As
> others have said, ArcGIS may give you the basics quickly and easily, but
> it is limited and expensive.
>
> Actually, ESRI giving spatial statistics any kind of attention is a
> bonus for R users.  The new ArcGIS spatial stats functions may draw in
> some typical GIS users to take a look (just like the ArcGIS GeoStat ext
> did years ago), but once they need to do more intensive work, or modify
> parameters, or deal with larger datasets, or get tired of crashes,
> etc..., they will look elsewhere (again, like ArcGIS GeoStat did), and
> R/GRASS is right there waiting.
>
> - John

> John Callahan
> Geospatial Application Developer
>
> Delaware Geological Survey
> University of Delaware
> 227 Academy St, Newark DE 19716-7501
> Tel: (302) 831-3584
>
> Email: john.callahan at udel.edu
> http://www.dgs.udel.edu
>

> Thomas.Adams at noaa.gov wrote:
>> Paul,
>>
>> Not to mention the huge cost of ESRI products and the fact that they run only on the MS-Windows platform. R also integrates well with GRASS GIS. Personally, I can not see any compelling reasons to go the ESRI route vs R/GRASS…
>>
>> I feel a great debt of gratitude to the selfless developers of R & GRASS!
>>
>> Tom

>>> from spatial analysis, R also provides a very wide range of