[R-sig-Geo] Impact of ArcGIS 8.3 beta's new spatial statistical functions in its Spatial Analyst Extension

Dimitris dimitris123 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 11:22:11 CEST 2008

Hi list
(first post)

This new spatial analyst extension from ESRI looks promising and interesting. Nice stuff.
I believe we use R and it's geographical abilities not only because it is robust and programmaticaly
efficient as well as an investment on ourself, but also because we do support open source and the
promise of free software (free as beer) to the community.

Learning to use an ESRI software extension will help you do your work faster and without much
trouble. I believe we are "here" (email list, R, programming, statistics, GIS, open source) because
we value our freedom and we want to know they way software is working (what happens under the hood).

So choose a pill (see MATRIX). The easy way like everybody else, or the difficult way which
eventually will pay back in multiple ways...

The decision is yours

--
Dimitris Kavroudakis
___________________

Hisaji ONO wrote:
> Hi.
>
>  What do you think about ArcGIS 8.3's new statistical
> functions(Calculation of spatial or network, GWR,
> Global/Local Moran, Gi etc.) in its Spatial Analyst
> Extension described in
> http://webhelp.esri.com/arcgisdesktop/9.3/pdf/Whats_New_In_ArcGIS_93.pdf?
>
>  Current R's spdep's and spgwr's and others' end users
> will loose interests of them and go to use ESRI's apart
> from R's?
>
>  And will decrease activities of developments of
> (geo)spatial data analysis tools in R?
>

>  Regards.

Dimitris Kavroudakis