[R-sig-Geo] Convert LL to UTM

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Tue Jan 15 11:56:31 CET 2008

On Mon, 14 Jan 2008, Dylan Beaudette wrote:

> or see the Proj4 library and utilities- outside of R

I.e.:

function project() in the rgdal package. Mauro wrote to me off-list ten
days ago and got a reply:

"Please read the help page for the project function (?project) in the
rgdal package carefully. There are no variables being projected, only a
matrix of point coordinates. The function you quote was for a completely
different situation. If your input data are not points in geographical
coordinates, see ?"spTransform-methods".

Please also write to the R-sig-geo rather than to me directly -
maintainers can help with bugs in software, but the list will give faster
and perhaps better response."

At least he read the second paragraph, but probably not the first. I agree
that reading the proj4 documentation would help too, but so far we don't
know enough - only that the input coordinates seem to be geographical.

Roger