[R-sig-Geo] Spatially Constrained Clustering

Carson Farmer cfarmer at uvic.ca
Tue Jan 15 00:42:00 CET 2008

Hello List,

I am trying to find an R package that will accommodate spatially
constrained clustering.  While I have been unable to find a package that
is explicitly designed to do spatially constrained clustering, I was
wondering if anyone had found a package that would do constrained
clustering of any kind, and adapted this to spatial constraints?
I have searched the R site extensively, and googled all night long, but
to no avail! I HAVE found this post:
http://finzi.psych.upenn.edu/R/Rhelp02a/archive/56819.html
but the replies did not help much.  They lead to several packages which
perform spatial clustering (such that significant clusters of say a
disease are located within a study region), however, what I would like
to do is partition a spatial (grid) dataset based on multiple variables,
taking into account their spatial locations (i.e. clustering is based on
the variables, but constrained so that clusters are spatially
contiguous).  I'm thinking mclust is probably the best way to go, but
I'm not sure where to start.

Thanks,

Carson