[R-sig-Geo] GDA: set up

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Thu Jan 10 08:33:49 CET 2008

On Wed, 9 Jan 2008, Takatsugu Kobayashi wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to install rgdal package on my local directory in my school
> server. I uploaded gdal-1.5.0, built and compiled it on my local directory.

This is not clear. Please 1) say what the ./configure you entered was
exactly, then 2) try to run gdal-config after make, make install, and 3)
try to run gdalinfo --version.

My guess is that the problem is "my local directory", plus finding the
GDAL shared object. You can compile GDAL where you like, in principle, but
are you both compiling and running on the server? Once GDAL works and
gdal-config can be found (and the gdal shared object(s) are in the
ld.so list), rgdal will install.

Roger