[R-sig-Geo] random points

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Mon Feb 25 16:44:13 CET 2008

Rodrigo W. Soria Auza wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm trying to generate a surface of 'random points' over a defined area.
> By 'randon points' I mean points that are not closer than one km each
> other. I used runifpoints (from spatstat). however, this function
> generates strictly random points, with some of them much closer than I
> expected.
> could someone help me with this?. I am not really an expert with R.

  You could try rSSI from the spatstat package. This creates points
sequentially, but if the next point is closer than 'r' units to any
other points, it generates a different next point.

  There are other ways of simulating point patterns with this kind of
inhibition, and I suspect spatstat has them! Look at help(rStrauss) as well.