[R-sig-Geo] Shortest path around obstacles (OT)

Don MacQueen macq at llnl.gov
Sun Feb 24 07:46:40 CET 2008

This question is basically off topic, since it isn't truly an R
question, though it is certainly related to r-sig-geo. I ask here in
the hopes that someone can suggest a direction for me to look.

I have a what is essentially a floor plan of a building (lines
representing walls, breaks in the lines representing doors, and so
on). I would like to have an algorithm that can calculate the
shortest distance between any two points (actually, large numbers of
pairs of points) that does not intersect any line (pass through any
wall).

My real dream is to use these distances instead of Euclidean
distances as input to a gaussian random fields algorithm such as
those in the RandomFields package.

I've done some web-searching for libraries of geometric algorithms
that might include this task, and have come across references to
Dystra's algorithm, and some mention of line of sight calculations,
as well as some algorithms for robotics (how the robot finds a path
from here to there, passing around obstacles represented as
polygons). So I have some leads.

None the less, I'd really appreciate any suggestions from the folks
here on R-sig-geo.

Thanks
-Don
--