[R-sig-Geo] SpatialPolygonsDataFrame visualization

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Thu Feb 14 09:18:02 CET 2008

On Thu, 14 Feb 2008, Mathieu Basille wrote:

> Thanks Rick for the hints.
>
> I have to admit, however, that it is so far a huge failure. I have been
> able to play a bit with the color key (arg 'colokey' that sets the
> position, the colors, the tick marks, height & width, etc.) and the
> color of one map (arg 'col.regions', for finite values of the layer),
> but I'm still unable to
> 1) have different scales for different layers (i.e. one color key per
> layer);

This suggests that you really should not be using lattice graphics,
because they are specifically written for conditional plots, so
necessarily on the same scale for comparision

> 2) color NA with a non-contiguous color from other finite values. From
> my different tests, NA are always white (I wish I could fill them in red
> for example, with finite values in a gradient of grey).
>
> In addition, I'm totally lost in the help pages of xyplot and levelplot
> (lattice), and the graph gallery of sp didn't help neither.
>
> Any other resource or tutorial for this?

There is Paul Murrell's R Graphics book (Chapman & Hall/CRC), and lattice
author Deepayan Sarkar's forthcoming lattice book (Springer useR series),
but lattice is, I think, not what you want if you want to control things
yourself. Just use base graphics and build things up layer by layer.

Lattice is superb for what it is designed for, by the way, say
conditioning earthquake location by depth as the classic example, or
plotting anisotropic variograms by direction.

Roger

e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no