[R-sig-Geo] Updating county map in maps package

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Sat Feb 9 12:38:15 CET 2008

On Fri, 8 Feb 2008, John Shonder wrote:

> Does anyone know how to update the map of US counties that is included with
> the maps package? The included map is outdated, and is missing several newer
> counties in various states. The cartographic boundary files from the 2000
> census are available at http://www.census.gov/geo/www/cob/bdy_files.html but
> I find no documentation on how to get these into the maps package.

See the two research reports referred to in for example the help page to
map():

      Richard A. Becker, and Allan R. Wilks, "Maps in S", _AT&T Bell
      Laboratories Statistics Research Report [93.2], 1993._ <URL:
      http://public.research.att.com/areas/stat/doc/93.2.ps>

      Richard A. Becker, and Allan R. Wilks, "Constructing a
      Geographical Database", _AT&T Bell Laboratories Statistics
      Research Report [95.2], 1995._ <URL:
      http://public.research.att.com/areas/stat/doc/95.2.ps>

both of which are online. You need to break all of the polygons into x0,y0
and x1,y1 line segments, and clean the topologies, building the databases
from the input data. It appears that some of the contributed map data has
not been broken down to elemental components, so there may be an easier
way. Finding out which output geometries are which is an additional
challenge.

It might be possible to output the segments or other intermediate text
files from maptools, contributions welcome.

Roger

e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no