[R-sig-Geo] Res: Subsetting shapefile type PolyLine

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Mon Feb 4 18:26:18 CET 2008

On Mon, 4 Feb 2008, Rafael Duarte wrote:

> Obrigado Milton.
>
> But:
> teste2[teste2$ELEVATION == 100]
>
> gives me an empty list. And I have data of Elevation = 100.
>
> I also tried
> teste2[teste2$ELEVATION >= 100]
>
> teste2[teste2$ELEVATION == "100"]
>
> But always an empty list and no plot.

Very close, with:

getinfo.shape("bat_lin")
teste2 <- readShapeLines("bat_lin")

names(teste2)

should show ELEVATION - then the help should also work. I think that the
original teste2 would say that its class() was "Map" - for the selection
with [ to work, it should be a SpatialLinesDataFrame.

read.shape is part of the infrastructure, and users are really advised to
move to sp classes, and either readShape*(), or (even better) readOGR() in
the rgdal package, for which you don't need to know in advance what kind
of shapefile you are reading.

Hope this helps,

Roger