[R-sig-Geo] shortest realistic distance for fish travel

Dylan Beaudette debeaudette at ucdavis.edu
Thu Dec 18 20:52:10 CET 2008

On Thursday 18 December 2008, Jon Loehrke wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 	I am trying to find an algorithm or thoughts on approach for how to
> compute the shortest realistic distance between two points.  I define
> shortest realistic distance as the shortest distance between two
> points that a fish (which is what I study) could move through.  Hence
> the path must wrap around land, islands, archipelagos, etc.
>
> Point 1
>
> 41.15  	N
> 71.26 	W
>
> Point 2
>
> 42.17  	N
> 70.37 	W
>
> 	I'm sure this issue has come up with the geo-statistical community,
> but simply need a starting direction.
>
> Thank much and happy holidays.

Hi,

This isn't a geo-statistics approach, but simple cost-surface algorithms
should be able to do this without too much work.

An example in GRASS:

http://casoilresource.lawr.ucdavis.edu/drupal/node/544

You could make the non-water regions a 'really high' static cost, such that
finding the least-cost path would be constrained to water.

Cheers,

Dylan