[R-sig-Geo] Moving variance calculation from an irregular grid

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Mon Dec 15 16:10:08 CET 2008

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008, Rawlins, Barry G wrote:

> I would like to calculate a moving window variance across a large,
> irregular spatial dataset (1.1 million points) - I have looked for
> various functions but have not been able to find one that will do this.

How irregular? Is the moving window adaptive (k nearest neighbours) or
fixed in distance for a given bandwidth - hence widely varying counts of
points within the window? Do you need the moving window variances for the
same support (points) as the data, or for different points (maybe a grid)?
Could the task be divided up into (overlapping) tiles if memory is a major
constraint? If k nearest neighbours, ANN (approximate nearest neighbours)
has been ported several times to R, but not generalised - I can make one
off-CRAN version available if need be. This thread may be relevant:

https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-geo/2008-December/004644.html

Roger

e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no