[R-sig-Geo] Principal Component Analysis - Selectingcomponents? + right choice?

Kamran Safi Kamran.Safi at ioz.ac.uk
Thu Dec 11 15:29:27 CET 2008

Hi all,

I agree with Ashton. The issue is very complex and far from resolved.
But sometimes we have to go down the PCA path. Among the many possible
solutions is the broken stick approach, for which you find an R solution
(bstick()) in the package vegan. Technically the broken stick randomly
divides 100% variance into your N principal components and generates a
null expectation for the distributions of randomly partioning the
original variance. You then take all those PCAs that are above the
broken stick distribution. This is by no means an agreed upon approach,
but it is at least reproducible and has some theory behind it, but is
and will remain a rule of thumb.
In terms of spatial analysis you could derive the PCAs and then go into
classic spatial analysis. Although the interpretation of PCA is
sometimes complicated or even impossible, you can calculate the values
for every grid cell and then go into multivariate analysis whereby you
have to take spatial autocorrelation into account. At least your PCA
components are orthogonal, which simplifies your analysis in contrast to
using the original variables. It also allows you to produce predictive
models.
What you could think of doing could be using PCA to derive
"environmental" variables which are uncorrelated and the use the
distance matrix and spatial filtering to "remove" spatial
autocorrelation.

Hope this helps,

Kami

Kamran Safi