[R-sig-Geo] GSTAT - singular in meters not km

Zev Ross zev at zevross.com
Tue Dec 9 20:06:41 CET 2008

Hi All,

I'm fitting variograms in GSTAT with fit.variogram and I was surprised
to find that all my fits were singular. I experimented with converting
the data to unprojected data (decimal degrees) and with dividing my X
and Y coordinates, which are in meters, by 1000 (to get KM). In both
cases the fitting procedure worked with no singularity. Based on the
numbers of pairs the bins appeared to be about the same so it appears to
be a matter of the coordinates themselves.

I'd prefer not to have to convert the coordinates back and forth between
meters and KM, any suggestions?

Zev