[R-sig-Geo] GStat kriging using spherical geometry

Helen Greatrex h.greatrex at reading.ac.uk
Mon Dec 8 18:07:25 CET 2008

Dear all,

Does anyone know if the Gstat package in r offers kriging using
spherical geometry rather than euclidean distances?

I couldn't find anything in ?krige or online,  but I've heard that the
general gstat package includes this option.  From comparisons with a
different kriging code outside r, the inclusion of spherical geometry
does make a difference to my results, but I'd really like to use gstat!

For some context, I'm block kriging rainfall data using lat long
coordinates.  An example of my code is below.  To make things simple, in
this example I'm aiming to krige over a 1 degree block centred at (39.5,
7.5)
(So the corners of the block would be [39,7],[40,7],[40,8],[39,8])
Note, In general I wouldn't be kriging over a block this size - it's
just to make the code simple!

Best wishes and thank you for your time
Helen

 ># Read in the input files
 >##############################
 >  dayinput <- file("zsourcep.txt","r")
 >  mydata <- read.table(dayinput,header=TRUE)
 >  unlink("zsourcep.txt")
 >

 ># Read in the output files
 >##############################
 >  dayoutput <- file("ztarget.txt","r")
 >  mydataout <- read.table(dayoutput,header=TRUE)
 >  unlink("ztarget.txt")
 >

 ># Turn these into the correct format for krige
 >##############################
 >  cinput <- data.frame (Long = mydataout$Long, Lat= mydataout$Lat
                              )
 >  input  <- data.frame  (Long = mydata$Long ,     Lat=mydata$Lat,
Value=mydata$Value)
 >  coordinates(input)  <- ~ Long + Lat
 >  coordinates(cinput)<- ~ Long + Lat
 >

 ># Now make the variogram model
 >  m <- vgm(.675, "Exp", 9.51, 0.237)
 > >
 ># And krige
 >  x <- krige(Value ~ 1, input,cinput , model = m, block=c(1,1))
  [using ordinary kriging]
     coordinates var1.pred  var1.var

--
Helen Greatrex (PhD Student)