[R-sig-Geo] reading ascii grid memory issues

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Fri Dec 5 08:47:59 CET 2008

On Fri, 5 Dec 2008, Alexander.Herr at csiro.au wrote:

> Thanks Barry
>>
>> Hi List,
>>
>> I am unable to read in a 7.8Gb ascii grid using readAsciiGrid
>> {maptools}/ read.asciigrid {sp}; R runs out of memory. I have 4Gb ram
>> and 4Gb swap, so things are getting tight.
>>
>> I am wondering if anyone has alternative options (preferably with
>> example) that enable to read in large grids, do some calculations and
>> save a new grid?

This is another case of posting on r-help and R-sig-geo, leading to the
thread getting confused. I replied on r-help:

https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/2008-December/181686.html

saying that using tiling with rgdal functions - which have a driver for
this data - is the obvious way to go, and that the raster package under
development on R-forge looks very promising for letting users automate the
process of reading rasters in tiles.

See also the relevant thread here:

https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-geo/2008-November/004486.html

Roger