[R-sig-Geo] merging multiscale data

Monica Pisica pisicandru at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 3 22:50:07 CET 2008

Hi everybody,

I am very much interested in hearing what is your experience with merging different scale data to obtain a uniform surface at the finest scale possible, and if not at the most optimum scale. Now I know that "optimum" is in the eye of the beholder, but maybe we can agree on a definition of optimum scale.

Anyway, suppose I have an area (any area) for which I have several sets of data, raster and vector, at different scales and different spatial extents. Some overlap, some not, but the whole area is rather covered by data. Also suppose that all datasets are in the same datum / projection, so we are not concerned about it. How do I get about to merge all of that???

One idea might be to transform everything in xyz coordinates and interpolate the area and get different surfaces for different resolutions and compare the RMSE and choose the one with the smallest RMSE. Is that an option??? What about if I know the accuracy of each dataset …. How error will propagate then? What if the area is so big that the computer I work on will not be able to do the interpolation, so I will be forced to work on tiles, how do I elliminate the border differences?

If you have any opinion or any good reference to work with I will really appreciate.

Thanks,

Monica