[R-sig-Geo] GSTAT: Optimize power value for IDW

Paul Hiemstra p.hiemstra at geo.uu.nl
Wed Dec 3 13:31:38 CET 2008

Zev Ross wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> ArcGIS has a nice little button that calculates the optimal power
> value to use for inverse distance weighting based on cross-validation
> and RMSPE. Just wondering if anyone had written something similar in R
> -- I'm using GSTAT and I'd like to avoid back and forth with ArcGIS
> (and obviously I'd like to avoid writing it myself as well!).
>
> Zev

Hi Zev,

It seems to me that you want to perform some kind of optimal automatic
interpolation. As an alternative to the methods presented by Alessandro,
Edzer and myself you could try the automap package I wrote for my PhD.
It provides a means of automatically performing kriging (in my view
superior to IDW, for example it takes clustering of observations into
account; it provides an estimate of prediction uncertainty). The package
is not yet available from CRAN, but the latest version can be downloaded
from my website:

http://intamap.geo.uu.nl/~paul/Downloads.html

There is a .zip binary file for Windows and a .tar.gz file for Linux.
After loading the package, the command demo(automap) will give you a
good impression of the package. Any feedback on the documentation and
structure of the package is most welcome.

cheers,
Paul

--
Drs. Paul Hiemstra