[R-sig-Geo] spatial moving average

Satterthwaite, Paul Paul.Satterthwaite at oregonstate.edu
Mon Dec 1 02:41:25 CET 2008

Hello,

I am a beginner with R, and have 2 questions concerning
spatial/geostatistics.

I have an artificial landscape composed of a binary grid of patches
(patch=1) or gaps (patch=0), which leads to very periodic empirical
semivariograms.

1)Is there an already-existing model semivariogram that contains a "hole
effect", i.e., includes some periodicity in the model semivariogram fit
to the empirical data?

2) Is there a way I can smooth this periodicity using a local/moving
average of values in a local neighborhood around each point in the grid?

Any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated!
Cheers!

Sincerely,

Paul M. Satterthwaite