[R-sig-Geo] kriging question

Dave Depew ddepew at sciborg.uwaterloo.ca
Tue Aug 26 21:51:06 CEST 2008

Thanks Edzer,

I've requested Cressie's book from our library (just waiting on it).
My main concern was the many 0 counts. I also was not enthusiastic about
odd transformations which then require appropriate back-transforms (I
imagine the back transform of the kriging variance gets messy)

I've tried several linear and non-linear combinations....they all do not
improve on predictions generated by using OK with the untransformed
data. I am confident that the resultant grid outputs do capture the
spatial structure quite well. I've also tried a 10 fold cross validation
of the kriging model - this seems to give reasonable estimates for mean
error, mean squared prediction error and mean square normalized error. I
had interpreted this that the variogram model chosen was doing a
reasonable job.