[R-sig-Geo] variogram question

Edzer Pebesma edzer.pebesma at uni-muenster.de
Mon Aug 18 17:49:51 CEST 2008

In general: no, in special cases: yes.

Fitting variograms involves non-linear regression for most models (Sph,
Exp, Gau, ...) for the range parameter, so you need starting values.
Given the initial range, linear regression is sufficient to find the
nugget/sill component(s), as they are linear. In principle, gstat could
be made simpler in that respect, I'd say.

For an initial range, you could use some heuristics (20% of the longest
distance in your data?), but it is often not so hard to think of cases
where this would fail.

Another issue is automatic values for the width and cutoff.

You could have a look at package automap, by Paul Hiemstra, which tries
to do some of these heuristics--good or bad, who will tell.
--
Edzer

--
Edzer Pebesma
Institute for Geoinformatics (ifgi), University of Münster,