[R-sig-Geo] merge sliver polygons

Murray Richardson murray.richardson at utoronto.ca
Wed Aug 13 15:44:54 CEST 2008

Hello again r.sig.geo list,

Thanks Roger, for help on my previous question regarding iterating
through a shapefile.

I'm sure once I receive my copy of  "Applied Spatial Data Analysis with
R" I will find answers to simple questions like this on my own, but in
the meantime....

Is it possible to merge sliver polygons that fall below a certain
threshold area with adjacent neighbours (e.g. perhaps using
unionSpatialPolygons but without aggregating any  polygons?).  If a
sliver shares edges with more than one polygon, it doesn't really matter
which one it merges with, but if I had to choose a rule I would have it
merge with the largest one.

Thanks in advance,

Murray Richardson