[R-sig-Geo] How to Import Distance Band .gwt Matrix

adjemian adjemian at primal.ucdavis.edu
Sun Aug 10 00:23:03 CEST 2008

List,

I'm having some trouble importing a Geoda generated distance
band weight matrix into R for use with the spdep regression
tools.  The "read.gwt2nb" function does not work, and even
when I try to import a manually created version of the
matrix, I cannot seem to get it into the right format to
avoid frame errors when attempting to estimate lag/error
models.  Once I import the data in properly, I intend to
perform a test of the common factor hypothesis, which is
unavailable in Geoda.

Up to this point, I've tried to use "mat2listw", but the
program returns a faulty "matrix not standardized" warning,
and then produces the frame errors after regression
commands.  So, I have two questions:

1) Is there a pre-packaged "read.gwt2..." function that
imports distance based weight matrices into R for use with
spdep?
2) Failing that, how can I import a distance band weight
matrix into R (for use with spdep) while avoiding frame
errors?

Thanks in advance for your help!
-Mike Adjemian