[R-sig-Geo] read shapefile, iterate through rows in attribute table, update attribute table

Murray Richardson murray.richardson at utoronto.ca
Fri Aug 8 18:41:27 CEST 2008

Hello users,

I am using R to create some scripts that involve a combination of SAGA
functions (via RSAGA) and R processes. I need to read a polygon
shapefile into R, interate through each polygon feature in the attribute
table, convert it to its own shapefile, and do some processing on that
individual polygon shapefile in SAGA.  I will then need to update the
row's attributes (in the original shapefile) with the results of the
SAGA process.

I'm primarily looking on advice on how to read and iterate through the
shapefile rows, converting each one into a temporary shapefile.  I also
appreciate advice on updating records in a shapefile attribute table.

Thanks in advance.

Murray Richardson