[R-sig-Geo] spgrass6 not running.

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Fri Aug 8 10:49:27 CEST 2008

On Thu, 7 Aug 2008, milton ruser wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I am running native wingrass (6.3.0) and R (2.7.1)
> under a windows XP environment.
>
> When I try to load spgrass6 library I get and message
> that GRASS is not running.
>> require(spgrass6)
> Geospatial Data Abstraction Library extensions to R successfully loaded
> Loaded GDAL runtime: GDAL 1.5.2, released 2008/05/29
> GDAL_DATA: C:/ARQUIV~1/R/R-27~1.1/library/rgdal/gdal
> Loaded PROJ.4 runtime: Rel. 4.6.0, 21 Dec 2007
> PROJ_LIB: C:/ARQUIV~1/R/R-27~1.1/library/rgdal/proj
> GRASS GIS interface loaded with GRASS version: (GRASS not running)
>
> After that, when I try to run gmeta6() I get another error message.
>
>> gmeta6()
> Error in system(paste(paste("g.region", .addexe(), sep = ""), "-g3"),  :
>  g.region not found
>
> What I am doing wrong? I tryed fly over the spgrass6_0.3.pdf
> help doc file, but I can´t get advice there.

Please see my reply on the GRASS statistics list:

http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/grass-stats/2008-July/000833.html

verbatim:

"On my native Windows GRASS, 6.3.0 release, TclTk (wish) interface, I
enter the full path to R - either "C:/Program Files/R/R-2.7.1/bin/R"
(command line) or "C:/Program Files/R/R-2.7.1/bin/Rgui", and click either
"Run" or "Run (background)", in the window named "Output - GIS.m", bottom
pane.

You can find the correct path for your R in the properties of the R
desktop icon. Use quotes if the path contains blanks, and forward slashes
to avoid back slashes in the path being misinterpreted.

I have R_LIBS set as a user specific environment variable, so don't need
to add this."

Refer to the other list link for the original question.

Native GRASS for windows is very new, but all the documentation applies
once you find out how to start R in the right place. The Cygwin port is
much more like OSX and Unix/Linux. Another version of native GRASS ships
with QGIS for Windows. Since there are so many varieties, documenting how
to proceed is far from easy.

Roger

e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no