[R-sig-Geo] smoothing contours (image.smooth)

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Fri Apr 25 08:58:30 CEST 2008

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008, F. De Sales wrote:

>    Hi all,
>    I was wondering if anyone in here is familiar with
> the command "image.smooth".
>    How can set the arguments dx, dy and theta to
> minimize the smoothing?

Read ?image.smooth in the fields package, and run the examples with
various values until you can see what they do, with the alternative of
reading the source code.

>    Is there any other way to get smoother contour
> maps, ie, without so many sharp corners?

The function is not adding any information, so if there are sharp corners
in the contours, then there are sharp corners in the data, and smoothing
is not your friend. One possibility is to change the resolution of the
image, which should remove sharp boundaries that are only artefacts of the
resolution - for example by interpolating to a denser grid.

Roger