[R-sig-Geo] spatial GLM using glmmPQL

Anne GOARANT goarant at cebc.cnrs.fr
Thu Apr 10 14:07:52 CEST 2008

Hi List,
I have observations of insect counts and environmental variables. My
first goal was to compute a GLM to explain the insect counts with the
environment. The thing is that my insect counts are not spatially
independant and show spatial autocorrelation (a spherical variogram
model can be fit to the data).
So I intend to compute the same GLM model and taking into account the
spatial autocorrelation. The final objective would be to compare both
model (spatial and non spatial and check which one is the best).
I read that a way to do a spatial GLM is using the glmmPQL function of
MASS and putting all the observations in the same group for the random
effect (Dorman, Ecography 30, 2007).  I was wondering if the "non
computed" Log-Likelihood value (but it can be computed by changing a
line code in the glmmPQL code function) is correct. I did some trials to
compare the model outputs for the same dataset for glm and glmmPQL (with
all the observations in the same group) and it gave me the same
estimated parameters. It also gave me the same Log-Likelihood for both
methods.
Do you have any idea if the Log-Likelihood from glmmPQL is correct when
one considers all the data in the same group for the random effect?
Is there any other methods to do what I want (comparison of spatial and
non-spatial GLM)?
Thanks for your help.
Anne

________ Information from NOD32 ________
This message was checked by NOD32 Antivirus System for Linux Mail Servers.
http://www.eset.com