[R-sig-Geo] extracting polygons

Agustin Lobo Agustin.Lobo at ija.csic.es
Tue Apr 8 15:01:50 CEST 2008

Dear list,

I want to distribute a set of N circles according to a random distribution
within a set of polygons (N circles within each polygon).

I have an object of class SpatialPolygonsDataFrame with the polygons.

My idea is to use something like:

for (i in 1:length(absUTMpolys at polygons)){
  delme <- runifpoint(3, win=as.owin(absUTMpolys at polygons[i]))

but I'm not being successful at extracting each polygon and
as.owin refuses the conversion:

I've tried
 > as(absUTMpolys at polygons[1], "owin")
Error in as(absUTMpolys at polygons[1], "owin") :
   no method or default for coercing "list" to "owin"

and
 > as(absUTMpolys at polygons[1][[1]], "owin")
Error in as(absUTMpolys at polygons[1][[1]], "owin") :
   no method or default for coercing "Polygons" to "owin"

which is the proper way
of selecting each polygon from within the SpatialPolygonsDataFrame
object?

Thanks!

Agus

--
Dr. Agustin Lobo
Institut de Ciencies de la Terra "Jaume Almera" (CSIC)
email: Agustin.Lobo at ija.csic.es
http://www.ija.csic.es/gt/obster