[R-sig-Geo] readVECT6 temporary failure

Facundo Muñoz famuvie at alumni.uv.es
Fri Apr 4 09:46:04 CEST 2008

Roger Bivand escribió:
> On Wed, 2 Apr 2008, Facundo Muñoz wrote:
>

>> Hello list,
>>
>> i've been dealing all day with this, and i can't find the problem.
>> It suddenly begun to happen.
>>
>> Im working with GRASS 6.2.3 under CygWin, and with R 6.2.2 with the
>> latest libraries (in fact, while trying to solve this problem, i removed
>> all R versions, and reinstalled the latest. But is still failing).
>>
>> This is it:
>> i start GRASS, and open the location i'm working with.
>> then i start R from GRASS console, load spgrass6 library, and i transfer
>> a vector map:
>>
>>     GRASS> r --no-save
>>     R> library(spgrass6)
>>     R> medidas <- readVECT6("medidas")
>>
>> everything goes fine so far.
>
> Is there a stray *.dbf file in the temporary directory? OGR with the
> ESRI Shapefile driver does not like extra *.dbf or other irregularities.
>
> In situations like this, just side-step readVECT6, use
> system("r.out.ogr ...") to an arbitrary directory, and readOGR() from
> there. There are multiple components operating, so complete control is
> not possible, but I have seen problems with stray *.dbf files before
> that were hard to debug.
>
> Roger

No, i made sure to clean things: I even erased de whole directory and
let GRASS create it again when he needed it.
Any way, the alternate way is easy and works well.
(A curiosity: writeVECT6 keeps working fine)

Thank you very much.
       Facundo.-

--
Departament d'Estadística i Investigació Operativa Universitat de
València (Estudi General)