[R-sig-Geo] polygon buffers?

Ari Jolma jolma at cc.hut.fi
Tue Sep 4 11:33:23 CEST 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: Peter Adler <peter.adler at usu.edu>
Date: Sunday, September 2, 2007 8:45 pm
Subject: [R-sig-Geo] polygon buffers?
To: r-sig-geo at stat.math.ethz.ch

> Dear R gurus,
>
> I am very excited about all the spatials tools in R because they
> have
> almost liberated me from ESRI products. One of the last things I
> have
> yet to figure out how to do in R is to create buffers around
> polygons
> (or just expand polygons). I searched the R-sig-geo archives (using
> Google) for "polygon buffer" and "transform polygon" but haven't
> found
> anything to get me started. Thanks in advance for your ideas,

I'm a novice when it comes to R but since GDAL and OGR have been
interfaced to R, there should/might be possibility to access the GEOS
functions through OGR (PostGIS also uses GEOS, which is a C++ port of
the Java Topology Suite) if GEOS was linked to OGR when it was built.

This page http://www.gdal.org/ogr/classOGRGeometry.html lists the GEOS
methods, which include Buffer.

Cheers,

Ari