[R-sig-Geo] Sampling random plots

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Fri Oct 26 10:35:16 CEST 2007

On Fri, 26 Oct 2007, Gerald Jurasinski wrote:

> Dear List,
>
> Could someone please help me, with a tiny question?
>
> I have read in a shapefile with readShapePoly:
> sr <- readShapePoly("study_region")
>
> It just contains of one polygon.
>
> As i would like to sample random locations inside i do:
> > sr.pts <- sample.Polygon(sr, 60)

You can just do spsample(sr, ...), which will traverse your object to get
to the single Polygon, sr is what class(sr) says.

> However, the function tells me, that there is no "area" slot in the
> object:
> Error in getPolygonAreaSlot(x) : no Slot of name "area" for this
> object of class "SpatialPolygonsDataFrame".
>
> But when looking at the object, there is a slot called "area" (see
> below). Do i have to convert the sr object to another spatial object
> which can better be handled by package sp functions (because it was
> read in with a maptools function)? And by the way, why there is no
> rgdal binary for mac on CRAN?

Because the external dependencies for the many OSX versions and platforms
are too complicated for the CRAN OSX builder to support. Please follow the
instructions on:

http://www.sal.uiuc.edu/tools/tools-sum/rgeo/rgeo-detail/map-packages-on-cran

to build from source. 32-bit Windows is simpler to support because there
are fewer moving targets, and Uwe Ligges has been very generous in helping
to automate the build process.

Roger

e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no