[R-sig-Geo] moran's I correlogram

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Fri Oct 19 09:00:09 CEST 2007

On Wed, 17 Oct 2007, Jennifer Seavey wrote:

> I am looking for R packages that create a moran's I correlogram with
> ordinal data. my data format is x , y coordinates with a z values that
> ranges between 0-4. another concern i have is that my sample size is 250
> and over 60% have a z value of 0. So i am concerned that the uneven
> nature of the z values will show autocorrelation when it is simply a
> matter that most of the data points have this value. Your advice/
> thoughts are appreciated. Thanks Jenn

Have you considered using join counts (joincount.multi() in spdep)? This
avoids using the misleading metric in moran.test, but does not use the
fact that a 3/4 join says more than a 0/4 join. This would have to be
covered in the description of the output figure. Constructing weights
lists for successive distance bands, it should be possible to plot a join
count "correlogram".