[R-sig-Geo] Error loading rgdal package on Fedora 7

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Wed Oct 17 17:03:50 CEST 2007

On Wed, 17 Oct 2007, Carsten Jaeger wrote:

> On Wed, 2007-10-17 at 16:22 +0200, Roger Bivand wrote:
>> On Wed, 17 Oct 2007, Carsten Jaeger wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I'm using R version 2.5.1 on Fedora 7. I just installed the rgdal
>>> package from source, compilation was without problems. However, when I
>>> try to load the package I get the following error message:

>>> Error in dyn.load(x, as.logical(local), as.logical(now)) :
>>> 	unable to load shared library '/home/xxxx/R/rgdal/libs/rgdal.so':
>>>  /usr/lib/atlas/liblapack.so.3: undefined symbol: ATL_chemv
>>> [1] FALSE
>>>
>>> Obviously, liblapack.so.3 is incompatible with rgdal.so. ATLAS version
>>> is 3.6.0 which is the most current version available for F7 as rpm
>>> (atlas-3.6.0-11.fc6).
>>
>> Where did your gdal come from? The rgdal package does not depend on
>> lapack, nor as far as I know does gdal itself (it links against the gdal
>> and proj4 shared objects). Can you use any of the gdal utilities, such as
>> gdalinfo or ogrinfo from the command line?
>
> Hello Roger,
>
> thanks four your fast response. gdal is also installed from rpm
>
> $ rpm -q gdal gdal-devel
> gdal-1.4.2-2.fc7
> gdal-devel-1.4.2-2.fc7
>
> ldd tells me that /usr/lib/libgdal.so.1 is linked against the liblapack from atlas:
>
> $ ldd /usr/lib/libgdal.so.1 | grep lapack
> liblapack.so.3 => /usr/lib/atlas/liblapack.so.3 (0x67e0f000)
>
> And yes, gdalinfo and ogrinfo seem to work from the command line, at
> least for some sample files (I'm just starting to use these tools and
> have not tested them with every driver).
>

>> I have a Fedora 7 box, installed gdal and rgdal from source, do not use
>> ATLAS and have no lapack or blas RPMs after earlier version problems (R
>> uses the one it is shipped with - but not for rgdal, I believe).
>
> So I'll have to build everything manually, I guess ...

Yes, it looks as though the gdal rpm with its own lapack dependency may be
conflicting with R's own? I cannot see a direct gdal -> lapack dependency
on the GDAL site, maybe a build of a GRASS rpm with an unnecessary
dependency on lapack (it is not used), and gdal depending on that?

Building from source does give the comfort of tailored software, suiting
the machine platform (until one upgrades the platform, of course).

Roger