[R-sig-Geo] Error loading rgdal package on Fedora 7

Carsten Jaeger cajaeg at googlemail.com
Wed Oct 17 16:09:04 CEST 2007

Hello,

I'm using R version 2.5.1 on Fedora 7. I just installed the rgdal
package from source, compilation was without problems. However, when I
try to load the package I get the following error message:

> library(rgdal)
Error in dyn.load(x, as.logical(local), as.logical(now)) :
	unable to load shared library '/home/xxxx/R/rgdal/libs/rgdal.so':
  /usr/lib/atlas/liblapack.so.3: undefined symbol: ATL_chemv
[1] FALSE

Obviously, liblapack.so.3 is incompatible with rgdal.so. ATLAS version
is 3.6.0 which is the most current version available for F7 as rpm
(atlas-3.6.0-11.fc6).

Any ideas? Does upgrading to ATLAS 3.8 help?

Thanks in advance,

Carsten