[R-sig-Geo] Buffer regions / owin to spatial object

Medina, Hernan HMedina at iso.com
Tue Nov 27 15:04:03 CET 2007

I have a question similar to Giorgio's.  I have a set of points that
cover a large region that could be projected as a parallelogram
including Canada, Greenland, the USA, and Mexico, as well as portions of
the Artic, Atlantic and Pacific oceans and the Great Lakes.  I used R
and the maps and mapdata packages to obtain the set points on land with
the in.polygon internal function.  I would like, however, to have a
buffer region of roughly 10 miles (16 km) around the coastal areas.
This seems similar to what Giorgio is trying to accomplish.

Hernan Medina