[R-sig-Geo] Large dataset on Ripley's K function

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Sat Nov 24 07:55:07 CET 2007

On Sat, 24 Nov 2007, Sisi wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> It seems from the previous mails that you require the objective of the study
> in order to give approprate suggestions.

No. Like all the R lists, this list expects posters to follow the posting
guide, which involves providing reproducable examples where the poster
implies that software "does not work". This does not mean that there is
any requirement to say what you are actually doing, only that you have a
problem doing something - which can very well be a simple example.

Of course, it is a good idea to mention what the substantive research
question is if it has significance for the posting. It is also useful to
indicate an affiliation if posting from a non-informative email address
like yours. It is polite to use one's name, not a nickname, especially if
your questions involve those replying in using their time and effort doing
so.

> My research objective is to detect the spatial, temporal and space-time
> clustering of the birdflu outbreaks at the continental level.

Well, the file names in your earlier postings did suggest that birds were
involved. Your other questions do however suggest that you are expecting
the list to do your work for you, including reading basic references on
point pattern analysis (which handle the importance of handling edge
effects with care), and the help pages of the packages you have been
using.

It is (perhaps unintentionally) evident that the results you may achieve
will not provide much insight into the data generating process you claim
to be interested in, including using small island windows and not handling
the lack of homogeneity in the observed data (the distribution of farms
with poultry is not uniform).

The posting guide does ask that posters refrain from posting homework
questions (although good homework questions from posters with real names
ans affiliations, and which demonstrate good preparation and effort are
often answered anyway).

> Considering your suggestion about the raster mask, would this be able to
> give me a solution that elivates the problem I experienced in the R code
> given previously. It is difficult to find the solution to make the programme
> work. I really appreciate any suggestions you can provide.

Think through your process model (how you expect contagion to occur and
whether it can occur across water bodies), see if you can find a control
point pattern, such as the density of domestic poultry, recall that some
incidences may not have been observed (or different virus strains may not
be reported in your data), and review the relevant literature. Then look
at ?im and ?as.owin.im.

The software all works (until you can demonstrate otherwise), the rest is
in your hands. If you really get stuck, please do post, but preferably
after thinking first and asking in your own institution (known offlist to
be one with plenty of libraries, researchers, and R users).

Roger Bivand

e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no