[R-sig-Geo] Add coastline to an existing xyplot [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

hiemstra at geo.uu.nl hiemstra at geo.uu.nl
Sat Nov 3 01:20:26 CET 2007

Hi,

You could use the function spplot in the sp-pacakge. Use the sp.layout
argument to add the shapefile to the plot. All the data needs to be in
one of the Spatial classes provided by the sp-package. The code could
look something like:

library(sp)
library(maptools)
points = read.table("points.csv")
coordinates(points) = ~x+y
shape_coast = readShapePoly("coast.shp") # Function from maptools
spplot(points, "attribute1", sp.layout = list("sp.polygons", shape_coast))
?spplot

hth,
Paul